The mission of the YMCA is “To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body, for all.” In keeping with that mission, the YMCA of Greater Des Moines provides caring support to YMCA volunteers, members and staff, especially in times of crisis, through the YMCA Chaplain. The Chaplain program is a non denominational care-giving ministry that aids and sustains people with Christian concern, friendship, suggestions and referral to other supportive organizations when needed.
Everyone needs someone to talk to when they are hurting, confused, or feel alone. Assistance is available in situations that may involve conflicts between individuals or groups, personal illness or loss, need for emotional support, or a need for spiritual guidance. The support given is through Pastoral counseling and guidance. It is completely confidential and free of charge.
- Pastoral Care - Prayer, scriptures, insight, listening, encouragement, support.
- Pastoral Counseling - Individual, marriage and family counseling on moral, ethical, emotional, spiritual or faith issues.
- Pastoral Visitation - Visiting of the hospitalized and confined, pre-operative prayer or counseling, as desired
- Spiritual Direction and Mentoring - Guidance in finding a closer relationship with God.
- Referral Services - Help in locating a place of worship, and counseling referrals about issues outside the Chaplain's expertise.
- Memorial Services - Chaplain lead funeral services in memory of a deceased loved one.
Contact David Harper at the Y-HLC